It is tech week for us here at Overshadowed. In fact, we only have one dress rehearsal left before we open again on Thursday. I say again because we are recreating the show that we were in the middle of when COVID shut us down. Now, you would think that would be an easy thing to do. Recreate. But honestly, five months off caused us to have to relearn and change.
So, happy opening Thursday!
In the meantime I started thinking about show bags. I pulled mine out two weeks before I needed it because I was so excited to need one again!
I am always fascinated by what others pack. Here are a few things I feel are necessary.
1. Bobby pins, hair pins, metal pins, if you can name them, you need them! You really never know exactly when one of these will come in handy. Don’t worry about having too many. They don’t spoil and somehow….they always disappear.
2. Extra clothing for all extremes. Underwear, socks, hose, slippers, bathrobe or some cover-up, hoodie, leggings. Be prepared. Show conditions are just different and you don’t want to panic because you spilled or sweat through your cloths and other horrors that you don’t really want to face.
3. A first-aid kit. (I am notorious for borrowing. I never seem to have what I need) Here are a few thoughts. Bandaids, Advil (Or some equivalent) Antiseptic, throat lozenges, allergy medicine, ace bandage.
4. Snacks. Tech week has a history of having longer rehearsals than normal. Do yourself a favor and don’t forget to pack food. Please be respectful of a theater’s rule for what your can eat in costume!
5. Wet Wipes. This is a must! You can use them for so much! Make-up on your costume? Wet wipes. And the list goes on….
6. Notebook and pen. As a director I wish all actors would just write down the things I tell them. In the moment you might be convinced that you will remember, but let’s face it, if you write it down you will be able to review and be on top of your game come show time. It would make a good journal too so that you always remember how you were feeling during this show.
7. Deodorant. Please!
8. Cards or a game. Just in case.
9. Make-up bag. In this I include extra hair ties, Glasses or extra contacts.
10. Toothbrush and toothpaste, gum, mints. Again. Please!
I pack all of that and still have times that I wish I had thought of something else. A show bag is a necessity and luxury all rolled up into one.
What do you put in yours?
I’d love to hear what you think! Or even see a picture of your bag!
Until next time!